Colder months are just around the corner, so we take a look at some of the new season’s best offerings…
If you have even the smallest semblance of interest in fashion then there really is no escaping the bombardment of coverage on the subject. September seems to be the month that’s most intensely saturated with fashion; the new season trends are beginning to come into play and fashion weeks across the world are in full swing, there’s no escaping it.
But if you’re not inclined to read Vogue religiously to find out the key items or colours for the new season then this oversaturation of fashion rules might become a little tiresome. If you prefer to play by your own rules when it comes to dressing then we hear you, that’s the way fashion should be. Not that we’re saying to shun trends, instead only wear the ones that you love and wear them in your own way!
We’ve put together a little edit of some of our favourite new season items that we are loving, items that you can wear every day to inject some serious style into an outfit in an instant. So we’re not telling you to go out and buy them but why not put together a little edit of some of your own essentials. It’s the easiest way to inspire yourself and put together a really great (and unique) new season wardrobe.
1. Checked Wool Coat – Zara - £99 – One of our favourite trends of this season is definitely plaid, bringing back fond memories of school uniform skirts and Kurt Cobain inspired checked shirts. A coat is a really cool and easy way to incorporate plaid into your wardrobe; there are tonnes of really great colour combinations including a stunning but pricey version by Stella McCartney. If your budget is slightly more modest then try this fantastic Zara alternative.
2. Straight Leather Trousers – Cos - £290 - Our lives are one never ending love affair with leather, whether patent or otherwise, so we’ll definitely be rocking some. Leather trousers are fantastic for winter as they keep you seriously warm plus they’re the ideal combination of utterly chic and effortlessly rock’n’roll. This amazing straight pair from Cos is great, we especially like the departure from skinny trousers to a more tailored masculine approach.
3. Black Patent Leather Metal-Tipped Tassel Loafers – Chloe - £495 – This summer we rocked a lot of wedges but our hearts belong to the flat. The hunt for the perfect flat shoe is a never ending quest, we thought we’d found it with the brogue but our eyes have been caught by the new shoe on the block. Loafers are the perfect shoe for any new season look, whether teamed with a full skirt or a pair of cigarette pants, and this Chloe pair will take any ensemble to new heights.
4. Taxi Yellow and Plum Tartan Skirt – Vivienne Westwood - £220 – Have we mentioned our penchants for checks, yes I think we have, the checked skirt is edging extremely close to the top of our wish lists for the new season. This amazing tartan skirt from Vivienne Westwood is such a cool colour combination and the asymmetric detailing makes us want it even more.
5. Women’s Camp Socks – J. Crew - £10 – Might seem like a little bit of a random addition to the winter essentials list but we just can’t get enough of a good pair of marl socks from J. Crew. Weather you wear yours with your loafers or slouched down with a killer ankle boot, socks aren’t just practical but are great when putting together luxe layered looks.
6. Floppy Brim Fedora – Rag & Bone - £110 – If we might be so bold as to make a prediction as to what would be this season’s biggest accessory we would have to go for the wide brimmed fedora. One of the easiest ways to take any outfits from great to perfect, whether you’re wearing a sharply tailored longline coat or a cool leather jacket, this Rag & Bone number will go seamlessly with any outfit choice.
7. Denim Blouse – Victoria Beckham - £150 – We’re not making any revolutionary statements here saying that a denim shirt (like this one from Victoria Beckham) is a must have item. It never goes out of style so a good denim shirt will see you through season after season; winter will see a lot of denim on denim (on denim). Think overalls with a denim shirt underneath and you’ll be close to what we’re thinking but we can’t get enough of the stuff so you won’t hear us complaining.
8. Dark Grey Prisma Skeletal Lunch Croc Embossed Leather Bag – Alexander Wang - £750 – New York’s favourite designer knows exactly what it takes to create absolutely stunning everyday bags for the modern woman. This Alexander Wang bag is the absolute perfect size for all your essentials including a scarf for when it gets really cold!
9. ‘Loyal’ Roll Neck Ribbed Jumper – Acne – £220 – Despite the dishevelled punk aesthetic permeating the high street we like a more grown up approach to dressing, with clean lines and sophisticated tailoring. Available from Acne, this amazing roll neck jumper will work with almost anything in your winter wardrobe, from high waisted trousers to a kilt, for a really nice heritage feel.
10. Topshop Black Turnup Beanie - £12 – A black beanie is always good to have on you, practical and stylish without being over the top. We love this Topshop version.
That’s it! Our favourite items that we’re lusting after this season, what are you looking forward to investing in?